The Alliance of Women Film Journalists is a non-profit international association of professional female movie critics, reporters and feature writers working in print, broadcast and online media. The goal of the organization is to raise the volume of women’s voices in the film community. The 2017 film awards by the organization come two days after the Hollywood Foreign Press released their Golden Globes winners.
The big winner at the Golden Globes was Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri but the Alliance of Women Film Journalists preferred the Guillermo del Toro movie The Shape of Water. They awarded that film with Best Film and Best Director. Sally Hawkins also won the award for EDA Bravest Performance.
The EDA Female Focus Awards saw Lady Bird win big, with it taking both Best Woman Director and Best Woman Screenwriter for Greta Gerwig. Laurie Metcalf also won the Best Actress in a Supporting Role for the movie.
Other big winners included Frances McDormand for Best Actress for Three Billboards, Gary Oldman winning Best Actor for Darkest Hour, Willem Defoe winning Best Supporting Actor for The Florida Project and two movies tying for Best Animated Film, with Loving Vincent tying with the Pixar release Coco.
The awards also presented their AWFJ Hall of Shame Award. That went to the “sexual tormentors,” including Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, Brett Ratner, et al.
Here is a full list of the winners:
- Best Film – THE SHAPE OF WATER
- Best Director – Guillermo del Toro – THE SHAPE OF WATER
- Best Screenplay, Original – GET OUT – Jordan Peele
- Best Screenplay, Adapted – CALL ME BY YOUR NAME
- Best Documentary – FACES, PLACES
- Best Animated Film (Tie) – COCO / LOVING VINCENT
- Best Actress – Frances McDormand — THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role – Laurie Metcalf — LADY BIRD
- Best Actor – Gary Oldman — DARKEST HOUR
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role – Willem Dafoe — THE FLORIDA PROJECT
- Best Ensemble Cast – Casting Director – MUDBOUND – Billy Hopkins and Ashley Ingram
- Best Cinematography – Roger Deakins — BLADE RUNNER 2049
- Best Editing – Lee Smith — DUNKIRK
- Best Non-English-Language Film – THE SQUARE
- Best Woman Director – Greta Gerwig — LADY BIRD
- Best Woman Screenwriter – Greta Gerwig — LADY BIRD
- Best Animated Female – Parvana — THE BREADWINNER
- Best Breakthrough Performance – Brooklynn Prince — THE FLORIDA PROJECT
- Outstanding Achievement by A Woman in The Film Industry – Rose McGowan, Ashley Judd and all who spoke out against sexual harassment
- Actress Defying Age and Ageism (name actress and film) – AGNES VARDA — FACES, PLACES
- Most Egregious Age Difference Between The Lead and The Love Interest Award – I LOVE YOU DADDY — Chloe Grace Moretz and John Malkovich
- Actress Most in Need Of A New Agent (name actress and film) – Kate Winslet for WONDER WHEEL and THE MOUNTAIN BETWEEN US
- Bravest Performance (name actress and film) (Tie) – Sally Hawkins — THE SHAPE OF WATER / Margot Robbie — I, TONYA
- Remake or Sequel That Shouldn’t Have Been Made – THE MUMMY
- AWFJ Hall of Shame Award – Sexual Tormentors: Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, Brett Ratner, et al