James Mangold recently took to his twitter account to tell the fans the ten different films that inspired or influenced The Wolverine. They were posted as solitary images for the fans to guess which films they were from.
Mangold did not imply that there was any hierarchy in the way he debuted this list, but he also didn’t imply that there wasn’t one. First was Wong Kar-Wai’s Chungking Express, but the second was a bit of curveball: Clint Eastwood’s The Outlaw Josey Wales.
The rest of the films listed are as follows:
- Hiroshi Inagaki’s Samurai Trilogy
- Yasujirō Ozu’s Floating Weeds
- Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger’s Black Narcissus
- Wong Kar-Wai’s Happy Together
- Takashi Mike’s 13 Assassins
- William Friedkin The French Connection
- Roman Polanski’s Chinatown
- George Steven’s classic western Shane
This is certainly an interesting list. I must confess that I have only seen three of these ten films, being 13 Assassins, The Outlaw Josey Wales and Chinatown, and I love them all, especially Josey Wales. From this perspective it looks like we’ll be having a lot to look forward to in The Wolverine. I hope I can see these other films on Netflix in the meantime.
Source: James Mangold – Twitter